Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Moving towards Linux as a primary desktop OS

Over the past few days, I've been doing a lot of work getting ready to move to RH Fedora Core 2 as my primary desktop OS. I've had linux distros of one form or another (but usually RH) on my machines since 1997 but I've never been comfortable relying on it for my day to day job. Simply put, I need a desktop that works.

So I've chosen RH Fedora Core 2. I would have gone with SuSE 9.1 and Evolution but I spent a weekend trying to get the bloody ftp installation to work and failed miserably..
Successes so far include getting my previously linux-averse WiFI card (US Robotics 2210) working via the acx100 driver (thank you folks!), moving over my J2EE servers of choice and getting comfortable with the new keyboard shortcuts for Gnome and firefox.

Major tasks that still await me are moving from outlook to thunderbird (including migrating a 600 MB pst file), getting APM/ACPI working properly and various other linux tweaks for the thinkpad t30.

Oh, I've finally been using up2date and yum in anger and once configured properly they save loads of time over manually managing rpm dependencies.

No comments: